Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Well, that was a weird night!

One of those issues you don't expect to come up...

Last night I was driving my sister home (she lives about 45 minutes away from me).  Suddenly a nasty thunderstorm broke out - so bad we could not make it all the way to her apartment.  Because of severe flash flooding, I had to find higher ground and stop.  It was a little frightening!

After about an hour, the rain subsided, and we were uncertain whether we could reach her apartment yet, so we proceeded with caution.  Around 1:30am, we finally made it.  Well, then I had a choice - do I try to drive home so late at night and with potential flooding in my way, or do I spend the night at my sister's on her leaky inflatable bed?

I decided that because of the narcolepsy I would stay put.  It is always a little more dangerous to drive when you have narcolepsy, but most especially when you are tired.  Better not to risk it.

But here was the next problem - I had to be at work (an hour away from either my sister's or my place) at 7:30am.  Given that it was 2am by the time we settled in, and I would have to get up by 5:30am, that would only leave me with 3.5 hours of sleep (I'm sure sleep time math is something people with narcolepsy do frequently) on a bed that couldn't support me.  Well, 3.5 hours is not enough to functionally teach on, and not enough that I really ought to be driving.

So, now I have to call out of work because I got to bed late.  That sounds like such a poor excuse!  I never miss work unless I have no other choice.  I have worked through some pretty powerful upper respiratory infections.  I wonder how my boss will react when she finds out...  I wonder if I should tell the truth...  I wonder if I should say anything at all...

Maybe I should put a sleep emergency kit in my car - camping mat or inflatable bed, pillow, sleeping bag,  toothbrush, toothpaste, granola bar, one of each medication I need, a change of clothes - work and play, shampoo, soap, and a sponge/puff/rag.

I took the meds, but I'm certainly tired.  Tried to nap, but couldn't.  Bed time will be reasonable tonight, God willing.

No comments:

Post a Comment