Sunday, May 13, 2012

Answers to the previously posted questions...

-Is sleepwalking related to narcolepsy?  Sleepwalking is one of many conditions that involve being partially awake and partially asleep.  It is not simply related to narcolepsy.

-Can I develop cataplexy?  Sleep paralysis?  I am 32 now.  At this age, my doctor does not expect me to develop new symptoms or experience worsening of my current symptoms.  If I was younger, that would be more of a possibility.


-Is my bad memory related?  Not directly.  When testing people with narcolepsy (often referred to as PWN) test about the same as those without.  However, since it causes drowsiness, it can cause a lack of focus and attention.


-Everyone on the internet says the 15 minute naps help with narcolepsy.  Why do I need 3-4 hour naps?  This is one indication that it may be Idiopathic Hypersomnia and not Narcolepsy.  However, every one is different.


-Are there any good resources on narcolepsy without cataplexy?  Any awareness groups?  Not specifically for N w/o C, or Idiopathic Hypersomnia, but Narcolepsy Network is a great support for people with sleep disorders, especially related to these.


-How does my sleep cycle compare to normal?  Mine is normal.


-Will my driver's license be affected?  No, not in PA.


-When I laugh really hard, my knees do get weak.  Is that cataplexy?  Everyone I asked says they have the same thing.  It could be either normal or minor cataplexy.  Since the two overlap, there is no real way to tell.


-Are you sure I don't have MS? (I have a history of that in my family.)  Upon performing standard neurological tests during my first visit, my doctor saw no indications of MS.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment