Saturday, May 12, 2012

Today I Start Nuvigil

(If you generally fall asleep while reading, I've highlighted the most important parts so you may skip the details.  I do this with my longer posts.)

I took my first Nuvigil pill about 45 minutes ago.  It's supposed to take an hour to kick in.

I wonder what it will be like.  My doctor said amphetamines get your heart racing, and make you sweat.  Nuvigil is not an amphetamine, but apparently is somehow similar.  I have a tendency to be anxious.  I wonder if I will freak out.  Apparently every person has a different experience.

I am also the type of person to avoid looking at the side effect information, because I always think I have the side effects.  There is a great website (http://www.narcolepsynetwork.org/) with a forum.  I am a fan of forums, but it seems like they are going out of style.  The people who participate in the forum are others suffering from sleep disorders and we all help each other out.  Anyway, they talk a lot about how Nuvigil affects them, but I refuse to read those threads.  I want to find out how it truly affects me before I read how it affects everyone else.  That way I don't get any ideas in my head.

Other things I know about Nuvigil:


-It is a controlled substance, so be careful!  Only take it as prescribed, and never let it get into the hands of another person for any reason.

-Insurance companies give you a hard time with it.  When my doctor gave me the prescription, he said, "Go and fill this.  They will refuse to fill it, then they'll call me.  This is how it works.  Here are some samples until you are able to get it filled."  Sure enough, I went to the pharmacy and they didn't fill it.  It's Saturday, so they will call him on Monday.

-It is related to Provigil.  It's one of those deals where Provigil was approaching the time when generics could be made, so the company developed Nuvigil, which will not have a generic for a while.  They just changed it slightly, and called it a new name.  The tricky thing is that Nuvigil is cheaper than the generic form of Provigil because the other companies are pricing it less than Provigil, but haven't caught on to Nuvigil yet. My doctor says they'll catch on some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment