Saturday, January 26, 2013

My description of the effect of Nuvigil

I had a follow-up with my doctor recently, and he asked me how I was doing with my new medicine.  Here's what I said:

I feel like Nuvigil doesn't keep me awake or give me more energy.  It just makes it possible to fight sleep when I ordinarily would be unable to.  Like, if I am driving for 15 minutes, I might feel the same amount of sleepy as I always do, but now I can just decide it is not a good idea to fall asleep while driving, and it happens.  Before, I would have to pull out all of the tricks - opening windows, turning up the radio, drinking soda, eating something...  It is an extremely subtle difference, so subtle that it is difficult to be certain there is truly a difference at all.

My doctor said this was the most accurate description he had heard of this drug's effect.

It is weird to think that I am taking a medicine with this purpose - to give me the option of whether I fall asleep or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment